2010년 5월 4일 화요일

HW4.4

MIDDLE-AGED RICH MEN AND FEMINISTS WHO HAD UPHELD NO FAULT DIVORCE LAW ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR HIGH DIVORCE RATES IN THE 1970S


First, the middle-aged rich men who had supported No Fault Divorce law caused the divorces. They wanted to be dissolved to have younger women than their wives which was called, Jennifer Fever. It was possible because of their wealth and there was no biological discord, contrast to women. (A PATRIOT’S HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES by Schweikart)

Secondly, Feminists tried to find their liberty through No Fault Divorce law. Some married middle-class women felt emptiness and meaninglessness about their lives and tried to being free from housework and find their own life. One of the women who became a feminist, Betty Friedan wrote in her book, The Feminine Mystique, “Sometimes a woman would say , “I feel empty somehow . . . incomplete." Or she would say, "I feel as if I don't exist." Sometimes.... "A tired feeling ... I get so angry with the children it scares me. ... I feel like crying without any reason."

Added paragraph; Episode of All In The Family

Popular TV shows from the 1970s show that a 'woman's place' in society at that time meant change in divorce laws were needed. In the show, the conservative householder, Archie responds, "Women's place is till in the home!", when his daughter told him that she is applying for a job. It symbolizes that there were still stereotype of women and It had suffocated them at that time.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기